Located at the Sponge Docks, this beautiful monument honors the sponge divers of Tarpon Springs.
The sponge industry has been one of the leading industries in Tarpon Springs since the 1880s. Prior to 1905, sponges were hooked. That changed when John Cocoris introduced the traditional Greek method of sponge diving. Cocoris recruited divers from his home country and soon, Tarpon Springs was home to the largest percentage of Greek Americans in America.