There are beautiful churches everywhere in Braga. The Hospital and Church of San Marcos, located on Largo Carlos Amarante, is one of the most beautiful.
There has been a church dedicated to Saint Mark on this site since the 12th century. The original chapel, which was also a Templar convent, was replaced by a charity hospital in 1508. In the 18th century the hospital and church underwent a major renovation designed by Braga architect Carlos Amarante, who also designed Bom Jesus do Monte, the famous sanctuary and pilgrimage site located just outside Braga.
The late baroque/ early neoclassical structure is topped with life-size statues of the apostles. In a niche above the center door, a statue of Saint Mark watches over everyone who enters the building. By the way, the purple banners are to announce the upcoming Semana Santa, or Holy Week.